Friday, May 27, 2022

Memorial Day Thoughts (and an Apology)

The Peasant has something to share with you.
I hope that you, my wonderful readership, will
be understanding of me in regards as to what I  
am about to tell you.

As you know, in past years I always posted a 
piece regarding Memorial Day on this blog.
Although I always paid tribute to our brave 
fellow Americans who fought and made the 
ultimate sacrifice in past wars, your grateful
Peasant went a bit overboard; as I also gave
thanks to our vets who are still living as well
as those who have died in battle. Your foolish
Peasant wanted to recognize and show gratitude
for their valor, but in doing so I inadvertently 
diluted the original and proper meaning of 
Memorial Day, and I wish to at this time make
a truly heartfelt apology. After thinking about 
the patriotic holiday and reading some articles
about the day I have dined on some humble pie.

We as a nation honor our living war veterans on 
a day which we have named and set aside for 
our show of gratitude to the surviving vets;
it is Veteran's Day. I have, of course, posted 
my statements of gratitude here at that time
of year. I should, however, have not run the 
two days together, as it were, by blending 
their purposes and meanings. The surviving 
war vets gave some, while our vets who died
in battle gave all, and the two must never be 
conflated.

So to all of you, my grand readers, your humbled
and chastened Peasant gives his deepest, heartfelt
apology. To those who gave their lives in war for
our country I give a respectful salute. To the 
living war vets I give my message of thanks 
for your service and sacrifice. And to everyone 
I wish you a blessed Memorial Day. 


MEM


No comments:

Post a Comment