Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Joe Linskens, R.I.P.

I recently learned of the passing of an avid reader of this blog
and a dear friend. Joe Linskens, an 84-year-old retired Army
National Guard soldier who attained the rank of Master Sergeant
then later a Master Machinist at Kearney & Trecker, was a frequent 
visit to the Elm Grove (WI) Library, as was I when I lived nearby the
library in an adjacent part of Wauwatosa, and thus we met. 
We became fast friends, with much in common despite our ages;
Joe was a fellow conservative and didn't have time for the 
spinelessness and craven behavior of more than a few in the 
Republican Party; not standing up for conservative principles,
always looking for an easy out invariably leading to compromises
amounting to giving in to the Democrats, and your favorite Peasant
sharing the same frustrations. 

Joe recommended some wonderful books on politics, banking,
and our economy to me, while I introduced Joe to my blog,
of which he became a faithful and constant reader. Sometimes he
would enjoy a post so much that he'd give me a twenty-dollar bill
to go out and buy myself a wonderful lunch or dinner. It was the 
first money that I would make with my blog.

We talked about many things: our Catholic faith, the state of our 
country, historical things, and how military life was for Joe.
We also shared a great love for our country, and I thanked him
for his service in the Army National Guard as well as for his 
readership of Peasant With A Pitchfork. I met his charming wife 
Ann, who last I was aware is still around and continuing to live 
in the Elm Grove condominium in which she and Joe lived for 
many years. 

Joe, I can't thank you enough for your friendship, your companionship,
and your stories about your life and times, and certainly for your 
being a constant reader of PWAP, your support and encouragement!
Until it's my turn to receive God's invitation to partake of His 
heavenly hospitality, we shall indeed meet again. See you then!

Requiescat in pace.


MEM 


No comments:

Post a Comment