Thursday, February 8, 2018

Sixty Very Good Years!

Last week your seasoned citizen Peasant celebrated
60 years of life, gathering with friends in food, drink
and song. While it was great to share my Emerald Jubilee
with them, I took time to reflect on where I am and how far
I came to get here. As we all get older, it is natural to do
some reflection and retrospect on our lives.

While I had my share of misses, as do we all, I also had my
share of hits, and there were times when I hit one out of the
park. Among these blasts were traveling around our great and
beautiful country (I've visited 15 states, and have resided in
three of them; I am chomping at the bit to see the remaining 35),
visiting ten countries -- Mexico, Canada, and eight European
countries; having worked in the exciting and challenging world
of finance (sadly I never made the really big money, but I learned
much and had fun doing it!); started and manage my own business
(I am a handyman for hire, and call my little biz Friendship House
& Yard Service); involved myself in politics (that's how I came to
establish this blog and to visit with you, my great and wonderful
readers every week!), along the way having worked on Ronald
Reagan's 1980 and 1984 presidential campaigns and having met
many elected representatives at all levels of government, including
U.S. representatives, senators (U.S. and state), mayors, governors,
and a vice president (don't get overly excited, it was Walter Mondale.
Oh, well, he was quite friendly and personable). Best of all, I met my
hero, and the man who has influenced my politics more than
anyone and who was my inspiration to publish this blog,
William F. Buckley Jr., founder of National Review magazine
and the driving force behind the conservative movement; I even
had my picture taken with him!

I drove a Dodge Ram pickup truck (for a job; quite an experience,
as they are very large pickup trucks!), learned to ride a horse, drove a
go-kart (yes, one with an engine), had a few lessons in judo as a boy (I'd
have had more, but my instructor was dying of leukemia and I never
got back to it after his death), wrestled, boxed (I learned boxing for a
comedy sketch in a high school show), dated some grand ladies
who drew double- and triple-takes from guys, especially when they
were with me ("What does that guy have that I don't? Money?
Connections? What?", I'm sure they asked themselves), met famous
entertainers, especially after having become one myself (I've referred
in this blog to my Chuck Ward Celtic Song Circle), including
not only singers and musicians but actors, folks you've seen in
movies and on TV shows. Heck, I'm even related to a few of these
entertainers!

Most of my family have accepted Our Lord's invitation to partake of
his heavenly hospitality, but I have cousins from San Francisco to
Ireland and have met and stayed in contact with many of them. As an
animal lover, I have had many amazing pets since childhood, the latest
being my dear departed cat Kevin, who is with my other relations
who have gone up yonder and is waiting with them for me to show up
(which, I trust, will not be for at least a bit more! I have many things
to do and many places to visit before I see the Place of Places, and
your busy and intrepid Peasant shall endeavor to do and see as much
as I can!).

There have been a few regrets along the way, but there have also been
triumphs which I savor and give thanks for. I have made friends with
the right people to have for friends, have made enemies with those
with whom it would have been foolish and even dangerous to attempt
friendship with, and have loved and been loved by some special people
in my life, including family and some incredible ladies (some of them,
even though they went on to marry other fellows, are dear friends to
this day!). I have had, and currently have some health challenges, but
with two terrific doctors, helpful medicine, and health maintenance
diet books to study and refer to I have the upper hand on them.

And of course, I have you, my dear readers and friends. My cup run-
neth over; I have more blessings than I can possibly count! I say
prayers of gratitude every day for all that I have, for all that I've been
blessed with, which certainly includes living in our great, wonderful,
prosperous, beautiful, free and magnificent country.


To quote a Frank Sinatra song, "Now I think of my life as vintage wine
from fine old kegs/from the brim to the dregs/it pours sweet and clear/
it was a very good year." And I shall have some more very good years,
and I hope you'll all come along for the ride. God bless!


MEM


No comments:

Post a Comment