Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Peasant Catches His Breath (And Settles Into His New Home)

Sorry, friends, but your harried Peasant is taking this week off
to rest and catch up on some personal tasks while continuing
to settle into my new home; just eleven days ago I moved into
a lovely apartment in New Berlin, a pleasant suburb of Milwaukee
where I just happened to spend most of my formative years!
This is my homecoming, in a manner of speaking.

Besides, I have been planning for a while to leave Milwaukee
to head for the suburbs. I love Milwaukee, please don't misunder-
stand, it's just that I have no confidence in the leadership at City
Hall, you know this from my prior posts regarding Mayor Tom
Barrett and his chums on the Common Council. And although
I love the people of Milwaukee along with the city itself, they
will on one hand complain about the poor condition of the
streets, or the need for a greater police presence in their
neighborhoods, or how they'd rather have improved bus service
instead of a trolley system which few will ride with any regularity
(and funding for the police and the firefighters diverted to funding
the boondoggle!) but vote the very same people who is making
their woes in the first place (?!), and by huge margins.
Mayor Barrett himself was re-elected with 70% (!!) of the vote.
So I decided to vote with my feet. Ich bin ein New Berliner!

I love Milwaukee, but barring a miracle I see no hope for a
badly needed change in its leadership. And Milwaukee will
suffer the same fate as Detroit and Saint Louis, with people
leaving for the suburbs and communities further afield to
escape the crime, the taxes, the arrogance of the city elected
officials, ...

So I am currently getting everything unpacked and situated
just so in my new digs. And I love my new home! I am most
grateful for a dear friend who helped me to become aware of
and to get the place through her connections to the peope who
bought the place earlier in the summer. They are a non-profit
group who rescue dogs from horrible situations, and will make
the lower level their headquarters while your joyful Peasant
resides upstairs in a one bedroom apartment in the house.
Among other things I shall be able to host sessions of my
Chuck Ward Celtic Song Circle with all the space I have!
And the dog charity downstairs, Canine Cupids is their outfit's
name, will be keeping banker's hours so they won't be around
evenings. There are next door neighbors but they are not in all
that close proximity so we won't be disturbing anyone with our
evenings of song!

I'll share more on all this in due course, but for now I have to
depart to take care of some of my aforementioned chores. I'll
be back of course next week! Gee, I just wrote an entire blog
piece today after all! No rest for the wicked, including your
wicked Peasant (well, left-wingers consider me to be wicked)!
See you later ...


MEM

No comments:

Post a Comment