Wednesday, September 23, 2020

An Anniversary and a Passing

Friends, today is a special day for us: this day,  September 23,
is the eleventh anniversary of the day in 2009 when I debuted 
this blog, "Peasant With A Pitchfork". This blog is a passion
for me, and a great source of joy, for I get to share my thoughts 
and observations on the political and economic news of the day
with you, my grand and fantastic readers! Your grateful and joyful
Peasant is thankful to you all for for your readership, encouragement,
and friendship. Although I publish this blog for a conservative 
readership, as I want to give my political brethren some ideas as
well as encouragement and good cheer, I welcome readers of any
and all political persuasions to read its content. One liberal reader
even entered words of praise for me and this blog (!); I just wish
he would have given his name or at least an online moniker.
I reckon he didn't want his political brethren to find out that
A) he was reading my conservative/libertarian blog and B)
was actually enjoying it. Politics are so polarized these days that
such an admission would bring much opprobrium and ostracization
to one from his own on his side of the political spectrum, be it 
a liberal enjoying a conservative publication or a conservative 
enjoying a liberal one. I thanked and complimented that reader
most wholeheartedly. And I thank and compliment each one of 
you, my fellow conservatives who enjoy PWAP. You are the reason
I keep going, posting and publishing articles supporting the cause 
of limited government and abundant liberty. 

And in this small space of time here at the beginning of Autumn, 
a longtime member of the United States Supreme Court has passed;
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the most liberal member of our top
court, died at 87 on Friday September 19 at her home surrounded by
her family, losing a long, on-again off-again battle with cancer.
An archliberal ideologue, she bore no malice for those with whom
she disagreed; she had a warm friendship with the late Supreme Court
Justice and ideological opposite Antonin Scalia. They even shared an 
elephant ride in India (!!) a few years back, your favorite Peasant 
doesn't know the occasion which brought the justices to India, but 
they had a lot of fun. Although I of course rarely agreed with her ideas
and her rulings, I respect her for having the door open to people of
differing viewpoints on law and politics, always willing to discuss 
the differences between them in an amicable manner. A rarity in
a person of the Left today. R.I.P, Madam Justice. 


MEM



 




No comments:

Post a Comment