Thursday, March 23, 2023

David M. Tacke, R.I.P.

Another member of our merry ranks has moved on to better environs;
a long-time friend and an avid reader of this blog, fellow conservative
and Milwaukeean David Tacke left us on March 16 at the age of 68.
Cancer is to blame for his departure at too young an age; 68 is not 
really old age as we knew it to be, as people are living longer and longer
--- although a disease, an injury or injuries, or something else unex-
pected and awful comes along for some of us and cuts everything short.
Heck, your beloved Peasant nearly had that happen two years ago in 
the form of a heart attack at 63. 

Dave and I met at a job seekers club meeting nearly twenty years ago
and had brainstorming sessions with our fellow employment hunters
as well as just us together, meeting in a restaurant to have a bite and to
exchange ideas. Dave was a "techie", very adept with computers but
very personable and quite social, unlike many in that particular field.
We had a grand time talking about our career plans, Conservatism
(Dave worked on Gov. Scott Walker's gubernatorial campaigns as well
as campaigns of other local and Wisconsin Republicans), Christianity
(Dave was a Lutheran while I am a Catholic), our high school and 
college days at our respective schools, the ladies we dated, and perhaps
a few other topics which I have long forgotten about. Oh, and we both 
talked about the articles we've read in National Review, and I showed
Dave my photo taken of myself and William F. Buckley Jr., NR's 
founder and conservative icon.

My hobby as a singer of Irish and other songs of the Celtic world 
was a point of much interest for Dave. I told him where I and my 
song group sing and when; 'tis pity he never made it over to catch us
in performance. Also more's the pity that we didn't get together for a 
bite at a restaurant a few more times in the past few years, as we both 
became with our work and all else in our lives. Isn't that so often 
the case? And now we have to wait until it's my turn to accept my 
invitation to partake of God's heavenly hospitality. 

In the meantime I have many happy memories of David and 
the comfort of knowing that he is just a prayer away. Your grateful 
Peasant will always remember David joyfully and of course with much
gratitude for the friendship and the time we enjoyed together. 

Requiescat in Pace; Ruhe in Frieden, old friend. Until we meet again.


MEM

No comments:

Post a Comment